Friday, October 17, 2008

TURKU BOOK FAIR 04.10.-05.10.2008


Turku Book Fair's website

A BOOK MARKET IN TURKU

I guess this is a festival too. At least, the writers are partying here in the evenings just like the cinema people at their own festivals. Shadow of the Holy Book is about to be published as a book as well, and I've arrived here to market it with the Like Publishing Ltd. people. Luckily the flight from Iceland is early, so I manage to make it to the bus heading from the airport to Turku, the Mexico souvenirs still in my suitcases.

Like Publishing Ltd.'s department at the book fair

In the evening I take part in a short book discussion at the evening club, and the next day in a 20-minute discussion on the book in front of the book fair audience. There are around 20 people in the audience, and they're mostly pensioners. Few know anything about the film, or Turkmenistan. Fortunately, everyone is familiar with Nokia. I even get to write an autograph for a charming elderly lady.

On Saturday night, while walking from the club night to my hotel, my mind is filled with suspicion. The Turku dialect of the people rolling past sounds more like Spanish or Icelandic than Finnish. I focus. No... I am in Finland indeed, at home. In my home country? I guess so.

No comments: